Each and every person has the right to go through a fair trial and prove their innocence in the court of justice. This is where criminal defense lawyers come in. David Serna Attorney mentions that these lawyers basically work for people who have been accused of any criminal activity, and help them to prove their innocence. He is a Board Certified Criminal Defense Diplomate and Advocate in New Mexico, and also a Life Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. David even is a Board Certified Trial Specialist in Criminal Law, New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization.
The situation for anyone charged with a crime can be overwhelming. To get through such a tough situation, the assistance of a good lawyer shall be needed. David Serna Attorney however mentions that due to the severity of criminal cases, one cannot just hire any lawyer for it. They need to make sure that the person is capable enough to handle the case. For this purpose, knowing about the essential qualities that a good attorney should possess is vital. Being in the field of criminal law for years, David has a good idea about these qualities and traits.
Here are a few of the qualities of a good criminal defense lawyer underlined by David Serna Attorney:
- Knowledge: While all professionals are experts in their own fields, criminal lawyers need to be sharper to have the capacity to handle tricky cases. The laws associated with criminal cases keeps changing, and the attorney should always be well-acquainted with these changes.
- Confidentiality: All people involved in criminal cases will want their information to remain confidential. Hence, they need to find an attorney who is trustworthy enough and are not likely to reveal information that could lead to a conflict. These lawyers should not have any kind of external bias, and always strive to investigate information independently and verify it.
- Negotiation skills: These lawyers must be convincing enough to negotiate out of court settlement, which are often less complicated. They should make sure that their clients get the best deal possible based on the circumstances, and take negotiate agreements to judge for approval.
- Perseverance: Criminal defense lawyers should be effectively ready to exploit every point that is available to them to defend their clients. They should pursue every opportunity to sway the judge and jury if the case goes to court.
- Communication skills: It is extremely vital for criminal defense lawyers to be a good listener and speaker. They must listen to their clients carefully, to understand every aspect of the case perfectly. They must also properly communicate with the opposite party and negotiate terms and conditions of a release or out of court settlement.
In addition to the qualities mentioned above, one must consider the experience of a criminal defense lawyer before choosing to hire one.